Why was my card declined?

Why was my card declined?

Transactions can be declined for various reasons. The most common are:

1. The transaction amount exceeds the card balance.
Please ensure that the transaction amount is equal to or less than the available balance.
                                      
2. Tip tolerance
At restaurants, hotels, spa salons, and other merchants where it is customary to leave a tip, cards work with a tip tolerance function.

A "tip tolerance" is a security feature that ensures there are sufficient funds on the card for the tip you mark on a receipt, after the server swipes the card. It is usually 20%, by default. The tip tolerance isn't actually charged to your card; rather, the authorization is a kind of “hold” to make sure there are enough funds to cover the tip, if you choose to leave one.
 
Please note that while you will not be charged this amount nor will you lose any money, in these cases you will only be able to use 80% of the available card amount. The remaining 20% can be used later; it will be returned to your card within 7 business days. 


    • Related Articles

    • Why was my card declined?

      Your card may have been declined because the purchase amount was greater than the available balance on your card. Some retailers will allow you to do a split transaction where they allow you to use two separate payment methods. Merchants are unable ...
    • Why did my Prepaid Visa card get declined?

      It is likely that your card was declined because the cost of your purchase was higher than your remaining balance. However, merchants cannot determine the balance on your card, therefore it is important that you inform them of your balance if it is ...
    • Why did my transactions for my bill payment for my telecommunication bills from my prepaid card decline?

      Please ensure the information you are entering matches the billing information on the card. Some transactions related to Bill payments or telecommunications bills can be declined due to tip tolerance. Please see above for details on tip tolerance.
    • I need help with Declined Transactions.

      First, please ensure you still have funds on your card by visiting the website printed on the back of your card.  If you were expecting to receive funds but have not yet received them, please contact the company that issued you the card. Cardholder ...
    • How come my card doesn't work on some websites when it works for others?

      Websites that do not accept Visa or MasterCard may decline the use of our prepaid card. Also some international merchants are restricted due to their country codes for conducting transactions as per the currency denomination on this card.